A team from the Delegation of the European Union (EU) in Bangladesh visited BIPSS on 31 March. The discussion between the EU team and BIPSS was centred on the subject of Countering Violent Extremism (CVE). The EU visitors received a briefing on various activities of the institute followed by a presentation on 'Countering Violent Extremism: A Critical Assessment'. The EU team also apprised BIPSS about the various activities of the EU on CVE and the potential for cooperation.
A three member delegation of the Chief of Staff of the United States Army’s Strategic Studies Group (CSA-SSG) led by Colonel Marc Harris paid a visit to BIPSS on 25th March’2014. Lieutenant Colonel David Lopes, Assistant Defense Attaché at the US Embassy in Dhaka accompanied the delegation. A brief overview of BIPSS was given to them.The President and other researchers of BIPSS discussed about the characteristics and challenges of Dhaka as a “Megacity”. The discussion highlighted the shortcomings of Dhaka including lack of access to safe drinking water, no system of solid waste management, shortage of utility services, crimes in the slum areas, human trafficking, limitations of rescue operations due to road congestion and no democratic governance system etc. It was also pointed out that the 16th largest megacity Dhaka is the most densely populated city in the world.
The training course was attended by senior and mid level officers of Police and other law enforcement agencies from the SAARC member states. General Muniruzzaman's presentation deliberated on the key traditional and non traditional security challenges confronting South Asia and a way forward.
Bangladesh Institute of Peace and Security Studies (BIPSS) arranged a youth dialogue titled “Building Social Harmony: Interfaith Youth Dialogue” on 10th March, 2014. The aim of this dialogue was to find out the general position of each faith, in the present time, in relation to other faith based communities, state and society and inter-communal relations in Bangladesh. The state of religious minorities, the probable remedies of their worries and ways to enhance social harmony in Bangladesh were also discussed. A press release about the dialogue would be made and a summary of the dialogue would be published in BIPSS website and also be disseminated to concerned stake holders.
The day long dialogue was held at hotel Lake Castle, Gulshan, Dhaka. H.E Heather Cruden, the Canadian High Commissioner in Bangladesh had attended the dialogue as Chief Guest. President, BIPSS Major General Muniruzzaman (Retd), some BIPSS researchers and four theologians/clerics from four major religions were also present in the dialogue in addition to the youth participants from various faiths in Bangladesh.
|Dialogue Summary||Photo Gallery|
President BIPSS, Major General Muniruzzaman (Retd), attended an international conference on 'Strategic Stability in the Indian Ocean'. The conference was jointly organised by the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) and the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS) at the Nanyang Technological University, Singapore and was held at the IORA headquarters in Port Louis, Mauritius.
General Muniruzzaman's paper at the conference was titled 'Building Security Cooperation in the IOR'
- President BIPSS attended the Strategic Studies Summit organised by the Near East and South Asia Center for Strategic Studies at the US National Defense University from 24-25 February, 2014
- Special round table on The Role of the British Indian Army in the Great War
- The latest issue of Peace and Security Review
- President BIPSS attended a regional conference on 'Cooperative Development, Peace and Security in South Asia' in Kathmandu, Nepal from 15-16 February, 2014
- Visit by International Federation for Electoral Systems Delegation
- President BIPSS Attended Simulation Game on South Asian Security
- President BIPSS, Major General Muniruzzaman attended the 3rd Yunnan-Bangladesh Cooperation Dialogue in Kunming, China, 31st December 2013
- Russell Pepe visits BIPSS, 17 December 2013
- President BIPSS, Major General Muniruzzaman attended the Global Humanitarian Summit, 11 to 14 December 2013
- President BIPSS visits Geneva for Humanitarian Interventions Conference, 03 December 2013
Alternative flash content
BIPSS IS A COSATT MEMBER